When a Mercedes SUV smashed into a concrete pillar in Queens, the results were horrendous. The vehicle rolled tossing four bodies unceremoniously out onto the street and killing one other person who remained in the vehicle. The driver and two other passengers were the only survivors of the crash. This wretched event was due, at least in part, to speeding, according to all accounts. Not surprisingly, most accidents are the result of driver error. If you or a loved one has been the victim of another driver’s error and the hospital bills are piling up, seeking the services of an Long Island car accident attorney could benefit you.
Common Driving Mistakes in Long Island
The fact of the matter is, the vast majority of roadway collisions can be chalked up to human error. While it’s true that what other drivers choose to do is outside of your control, there is no doubt that you can improve your chances of remaining safe as a driver by being aware of the most common driving errors and taking precautions to avoid them yourself. Some of the problems most frequently cited as contributing to driving accidents include:
- Distractions: Drivers who fail to focus on the road endanger themselves and everyone else on the road! It cannot be said enough: put away your phone, your food, your make-up and whatever else, and get serious about your responsibility behind the wheel.
- Drunk driving: Drunk driving kills more people than any other driving issue. There are plenty of options available these days if you’ve had a few too many, so get home safely by utilizing one of them.
- Speeding: Guess what the second most frequent cause of traffic accidents might be: speeding. Drivers who respect posted limits do themselves and others a real favor.
- Aggressive driving: Whether it’s speeding, frequent lane changes, tailgating, or failing to use turn signals, aggressive driving is dangerous and potentially deadly. Being courteous and taking the time necessary to reach a destination pays off.
- Ignoring stop signs and signals: Entering an intersection when cross traffic is there is going to lead to serious injuries or fatalities too often to be worth the risk. Stop at reds, and remain stopped until it’s safe to proceed.
- Wrong-way driving: When drivers don’t pay attention, it’s easy to find themselves driving the wrong direction on a freeway ramp or one-way road. Particularly in unfamiliar areas, take note of signs warning you of the wrong way in order to avoid disaster.
When Another Long Island Driver Causes Harm
In the event you or a family member suffers serious injuries or death at the hands of another driver, the aggressive legal team at the Falkowitz Law Firm PLLC can help. Get Gary working on your behalf by calling 844-GET-GARY. We can help by establishing liability and fighting for the damages you deserve to deal with the aftermath of the incident. Contact our Garden City office for a free, confidential conversation today.
Gary P. Falkowitz is the Managing Partner and Founding Attorney of the Falkowitz Law Firm PLLC‚ one of the premiere personal injury law firms in New York. Gary received his J.D., in 2005 from St. John’s University School of Law and served as an Assistant District Attorney with the Kings County District Attorney’s Office.