When two vehicles collide head-on, the damage to life and property are almost always severe. Regrettably, these kinds of accidents took nearly 22,000 lives across the country in 2005 alone! Unfortunately, New Yorkers are every bit as susceptible to these horrendous accidents as people in other states. If you have been the victim of such an accident, a Long Island personal injury attorney can help you navigate the opportunities for recovering damages.
New York Car Accidents
Families are impacted across the state by the serious collisions:
- One man was killed and another experienced life-threatening injuries when a vehicle crossed the middle lane and careened into an oncoming car in Columbus.
- A pick-up truck collided head-on into an ATV in Brooklyn killing the ATV driver. The truck driver was hospitalized.
- An inebriated man smashed into oncoming traffic, injuring a woman and a boy and incurring a fractured skull himself in Carmel.
Factors Leading to Head-on Car Accidents
Head-on collisions occur under many different circumstances. Factors include weather, road conditions, and of course, unexpected events that pop up on the road. Some of the most common things safety officials see include the following:
- Drivers who fall asleep at the wheel and cross over into oncoming traffic;
- Drivers who miss signs alerting motorists of one-way roads and proceed forward into traffic;
- Drivers passing slower motorists with no regard for solid lines separating traffic, or with insufficient visibility of the road ahead;
- Drivers crossing into oncoming traffic as they swerve to avoid an animal or another obstacle in their path;
- Drivers who speed along and veer out of their lanes into oncoming traffic, particularly on curving roads;
- Drunk or incapacitated drivers who smash into oncoming traffic; and
- Drivers who succumb to distractions and meander across the road into oncoming vehicles.
How to Evade a Vehicle Coming at You
When a vehicle is speeding toward you in your lane, it must be absolutely terrifying. Although there’s no sure-fire way to avoid a crash, there are some things you can do if you think fast in this situation. According to the National Safety Council, drivers can reduce the chances of being involved in a head-on collision by taking some basic steps for their safety.
Take note of what’s up ahead, and the amount of visible road. Never risk passing a vehicle if you can’t see clearly that you have plenty of room. In the event a vehicle is coming toward you in your lane, move as far to the right as possible as quickly as possible, even if you are forced onto the shoulder. Although the prospect of careening into a ditch, tree, or another obstacle may be bewildering, the chances of surviving that type of crash are better than surviving a head-on collision when both vehicles are traveling at extreme speeds.
Following a Long Island Car Accident
If you or a loved one has suffered the consequences of a head-on collision that was the fault of another driver, you want the experienced team at the Falkowitz Law Firm PLLC on your side. To get Gary working for you, call 844-GET-GARY today. Our team will investigate the collision, and go to bat for you.
Gary P. Falkowitz is the Managing Partner and Founding Attorney of the Falkowitz Law Firm PLLC‚ one of the premiere personal injury law firms in New York. Gary received his J.D., in 2005 from St. John’s University School of Law and served as an Assistant District Attorney with the Kings County District Attorney’s Office.