Throughout the state of New York and the United States, more and more people are using Uber or Lyft to get around town, and these companies are providing jobs for a lot of people. However, as companies such as Uber and Lyft become more popular, the amount of accidents these vehicles are involved in is also on the increase.
In Hempstead, it’s extremely convenient to be able to use an app on your cellphone to get a ride from Uber/Lyft that will take you anywhere you want to go. But what happens if you are involved in a car accident while riding in an Uber/Lyft vehicle?
That’s where it can get confusing. You’re riding in someone else’s car, and you requested this ride through an app on your phone. Because a ride-sharing app is only technology, and not another type of transportation, such as a taxi, it would be normal to file a claim for damages against your Uber/Lyft driver instead of the company itself.
Uber/Lyft Accidents in New York
Both Uber and Lyft do background checks on all of their drivers as well as a safety inspection of the driver’s vehicle. A driver for Uber and/or Lyft in Hempstead must have both a clean driving record and criminal background.
The catch is, your Uber/Lyft driver is considered to be an independent contractor and not an employee. Because of this, Uber and Lyft shift the liability of any accidents on the driver and have an insurance policy on each of their drivers that cover damages should an accident occur in Hempstead, New York.
Uber/Lyft Accident Insurance in New York
If you or a loved one is involved in an accident while riding in an Uber/Lyft vehicle, the driver’s insurance policy will cover a minimum amount of $50,000 per person with a maximum of $100,000. Additionally, Uber will also cover a maximum of $25,000 in property damage.
However, if the Uber driver is involved in an accident and doesn’t have a rider in the car things change. If the Uber driver has both collision and comprehensive car insurance coverage, then Uber will cover that as well. The total is $1 million dollars for any bodily injury. The same applies if you are a passenger in the car.
Because the amount of insurance is so high, this means that if you or a loved one is injured in an Uber/Lyft accident, you may be able to receive a significant amount of compensation for your injuries and other things such as medical bills, lost income, pain, and suffering, etc.
However, to receive a potentially large amount of compensation you need to fall into one of the following categories:
- You were a passenger or motor vehicle operator injured in an accident where the Uber/Lyft driver was at fault
- You, as an Uber/Lyft driver, was injured in an accident where another vehicle was at fault; and/or
- You were a passenger and injured in an Uber/Lyft vehicle regardless of who was at fault.
Getting Compensation for Uber/Lyft Accidents in New York
If you or a loved one were involved in an Uber/Lyft accident and suffered injuries the biggest mistake many people make is to assume that Uber/Lyft will automatically cover you. Like most other companies, Uber/Lyft are more concerned with their profits, not necessarily their customers.
Because of this fact, it’s important that you retain the services of a Hempstead car accident lawyer such as Gary Falkowitz. In many cases, your claim will be denied and you and your attorney can then choose to file a lawsuit.
Additionally, you may also be able to sue the personal car insurance company of your Uber/Lyft driver. With there being so many possible entities to file a lawsuit against, it may be difficult for you to figure out what is the best choice for you depending on your individual circumstances. That’s where a Hempstead Uber/Lyft car accident lawyer comes in. Gary Falkowitz has handled many Uber/Lyft cases and his experience makes him a valuable asset to assist you in your claim for damages.
Steps to take when you’re involved in an Uber/Lyft Accident
If you or a loved one is injured in an Uber/Lyft accident, there are certain steps you should take.
- See if anyone is injured and call the police.
- Document Everything. If possible, take pictures of all the vehicles involved in the accident, talk to witnesses and get their contact information.
- See Your Doctor. Some injuries don’t show up immediately after an accident, so it’s important that you go to the emergency room or see your doctor as soon as possible after the accident.
- Contact an attorney. Every state has its own statute of limitations, which is the time you have after the accident to file a lawsuit. You don’t want to lose out on any compensation you may deserve because that time expired.
- Report the accident to your own insurance company as well. Even if you don’t know if you will need to use your own insurance, you can’t use it if you don’t report it.
Call a Hempstead Uber/Lyft Accident Lawyer
Every case is different, and it depends on your individual circumstances as to how much compensation you may be able to receive for your injuries. Gary has handled claims involving an Uber passenger that was injured because of the driver, driver of another vehicle injuring an Uber driver, and many more.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an Uber/Lyft accident, call the Falkowitz Law Firm to set up your consultation today