In New York City, the majority of personal injury cases are due to a car accident. If you or a loved one is involved in an NYC car accident, you may only suffer slight damage to your motor vehicle, or, unfortunately, you or your loved one could suffer serious injuries.
If you or a loved one is involved in a car accident, after you’ve received medical treatment for any injuries, you will need a skilled and knowledgeable New York City car accident lawyer who can help you receive the amount of compensation you deserve.
The legal team at Falkowitz Law Offices has represented many people who have been in a car accident and suffered everything from minor injuries to traumatic brain injuries. They’ve also represented the families of victims who were killed due to a car accident. Their team has the skill, experience, and dedication to be a strong advocate for you or your loved one and handle all the details for you.
Steps to Take After a Car Accident in New York
The actions you take immediately following your car accident could have an impact on your recovery from any injuries you may have suffered as well as on your potential monetary compensation for your losses. Below are the steps you should take, if you’re able to, immediately following your car accident.
- Call 911: Call the police immediately and request emergency medical attention for yourself, any passengers, and anyone else who may have been injured in the car accident.
- Get Driver’s Information: If you’re not immediately transported by ambulance to the hospital, you’ll want to obtain the name, address, phone number, license number, and any insurance information from all the other drivers involved in the accident.
- Witness Information: You’ll want to get the name, address, and telephone number of any witnesses. Many times witnesses will leave once the police and emergency medical personnel arrive on the scene, so it’s vital to try to obtain this information as quickly as possible.
- Take Pictures: Use your cellphone, or camera if you have one with you, to photograph any damage to your car, the other driver’s vehicles, the debris, any skid marks, and injuries. Try to get a wide shot that shows where the accident happened. Also, if possible, try to photograph any environmental factors that may have contributed to the car accident such as road construction, standing water, or obstructed views.
- Police Report: Within a day or two of your car accident you should be able to obtain a copy of the police report. While it’s important to cooperate with the police while at the scene, don’t admit to any fault for the accident.
- Seek Medical Treatment: Even if you don’t feel you require emergency care, see a doctor as soon as possible after the car accident. Some injury symptoms don’t show up for a day or so after the car accident occurred. Additionally, a medical examination will document any injuries you may have in case you have a legal claim.
- Verbal and/or Written Statements: After your car accident you may be contacted by the other driver’s or your insurance company. They may ask for a written or recorded statement of your version of the accident. Do not give the insurance company either of these things. Anything you say or write down may be used against you in an attempt to reduce the amount of compensation you may be entitled to.
- File a Report with the NYDMV: In NYC and throughout the state of New York, you must file a form with the New York Department of Motor Vehicles within 10 days of your accident if you suffered damages over $1,000.00. If you don’t file the form within 10 days, the state of New York can suspend your driver’s license.
Handling the New York Insurance Companies After a Car Accident in NYC
It wouldn’t be unusual to believe that your car insurance company is going to help you after your car accident in New York. However, you couldn’t be further from the truth. The goal of most insurance companies is to pay you as little as they can for the damages you suffered in your car accident.
If you or a loved one is involved in a car accident in New York City, and the other driver was negligent, you should receive fair compensation for any injuries and other damages you or your loved one sustained. You may be entitled to receive compensation for emotional suffering, pain, and financial hardships as well.
After the accident when you contact your car insurance company, they may want you to make a recorded statement. Refuse to give a recorded statement and don’t volunteer any information. Remember, anything you say can and will be used against you when it’s time to settle your claim.
You should contact a New York City car accident lawyer in order to ensure that your New York car insurance company can’t take advantage of you and your situation. The legal team at the Gary Falkowitz Law Firm is an expert in personal injury cases, and he can review everything as it pertains to your car accident, and talk to any witnesses to build the strongest possible case for you or your loved one.
Protecting Your Legal Rights After a Car Accident in New York
In the state of New York, there are strict time limits, called the Statute of Limitations, in which you have to file your lawsuit as a result of your car accident. If you don’t file your lawsuit within the given amount of time, the court may choose not to hear your case, barring any extraordinary circumstances.
In New York, the statute of limitations is three (3) years from the date of the accident. However, if a loved one died in the car accident, you have two (2) years to file your lawsuit according to the wrongful death statute of limitations in New York.
Most of the time the statute of limitations will begin at the time of the car accident, but, there are exceptions, such as in a claim for wrongful death where your loved one initially survived, but later died as a result of their injuries.
Additionally, tighter time limits could apply to your car accident if your crash involved a government vehicle.
Why You Need a New York City Car Accident Lawyer
By contacting New York car accident attorney Gary Falkowitz, you can stop worrying and rest assured Gary and his experienced team will work hard to build your case, deal with the paperwork, and work with the insurance company to get you all the monetary compensation you or your loved one deserves.