In Long Island, personal injury cases are abundant, with a population of 7.5 million people. If you or a loved one is involved in an accident, you may only suffer minor injuries, or, unfortunately, you or your loved one could suffer more severe injuries.
If you or a loved one is involved in an accident of any kind on Long Island, you will need a skilled and knowledgeable Long Island accident lawyer who can help you obtain the compensation you deserve.
The Falkowitz Law Firm has represented many people who have been in accidents of all kinds and suffered everything from minor injuries to traumatic brain injuries. They’ve also represented the families of victims who were killed due to these accidents. Their team has the skill, experience, and dedication to be a strong advocate for you or your loved one and handle all the details for you.
Steps to Take After an Accident on Long Island
The actions you take immediately following your accident could have an impact on your recovery from any injuries you may have suffered as well as any potential monetary compensation for your losses. Below are the steps you should take if you’re able to, immediately following your accident.
- Call 911: Call the police and request emergency medical attention for yourself, any passengers, and anyone else who may have been injured in the car accident.
- Witness Information: Obtain the name, address, and telephone number of any witnesses. On many occasions, witnesses will leave once the police and emergency medical personnel arrive on the scene, so it’s vital to try to obtain this information as quickly as possible.
- Take Pictures: Use your cellphone or camera if you have one with you, to photograph any damage or debris. Try to get a full shot that shows where the accident happened. Also, if possible, try to shoot any environmental factors that may have contributed to the accident.
- Seek Medical Treatment: Even if you don’t feel you require emergency care, see a doctor as soon as possible after the accident. Some injury symptoms don’t show up for a day or so after the car accident occurred. Additionally, a medical examination will document any injuries you may have in case you have a legal claim.
Types of Accidents on Long Island
- Bus Accidents
- Car Accidents
- Hit and Run Accidents
- Scooter Accidents
- Uber Accidents
- Rear-End Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Personal Injury
Handling the New York Insurance Companies After an Accident
It wouldn’t be unusual to believe that your insurance company is going to help you after your accident. However, you couldn’t be further from the truth. The goal of most insurance companies is to pay you as little as they can for the damages you suffered.
If you or a loved one is involved in an accident and another party was negligent, you should receive fair compensation for any injuries and other damages you or your loved one sustained. You may be entitled to receive compensation for emotional suffering, pain, and financial hardships as well.
After the accident, when you contact your insurance company, they may want you to make a recorded statement. Refuse to give a recorded statement and don’t volunteer any information. Remember, anything you say can and will be used against you when it’s time to settle your claim.
You should contact a Long Island accident lawyer to ensure that your New York car insurance company can’t take advantage of you and your situation. Long Island attorney Gary Falkowitz is experienced in all types of personal injury cases, and he can review everything as it pertains to your accident.
Protecting Your Legal Rights After an Accident
In the state of New York, there are strict time limits, called the Statute of Limitations, in which you have to file your lawsuit as a result of your accident. If you don’t file your lawsuit within the given amount of time, the court may choose not to hear your case, barring any extraordinary circumstances.
In New York, the statute of limitations is three (3) years from the date of the accident. However, if a loved one died in the Levittown, New York car accident, you have two (2) years to file your lawsuit according to the wrongful death statute of limitations in New York.
Most of the time, the statute of limitations will begin at the time of the accident. However, there are exceptions, such as in a claim for wrongful death where your loved one initially survived, but later died as a result of their injuries. Additionally, tighter time limits could apply to your Levittown, New York car accident if your crash involved a government vehicle.
Why You Need a Long Island Accident Lawyer
By contacting Long Island accident attorney Gary Falkowitz, you can stop worrying and rest assured Gary and his experienced team will work hard to:
- Build your case
- Deal with the paperwork
- Work with the insurance company to get you all the monetary compensation you or your loved one deserves.
Call our offices today at 844-385-4279 for a free, no-obligation consultation.