In Massapequa, New York, the vast majority of personal injury cases are due to a car accident. If you or a loved one is involved in a Massapequa, New York car accident, you may be lucky and only suffer slight damage to your motor vehicle, or, sadly, you or your loved one could suffer serious injuries.
If you or a loved one is involved in a Massapequa, New York car accident, and after you’ve received medical treatment for any injuries, you will need a skilled and knowledgeable Long Island New York car accident lawyer who can assist you with the claims process, negotiating with the insurance company, and the filing of a lawsuit if necessary.
The legal team at Falkowitz Law Offices have represented many people who have been in a Massapequa, New York car accident and suffered everything from minor injuries to traumatic brain injuries. They’ve also represented the families of victims who were killed due to a Massapequa, New York car accident. Their team has the skill, experience, and dedication to be a strong advocate for you or your loved one and handle all the details for you.
Steps to Take After a Massapequa, New York Car Accident
The steps you take immediately following your car accident could have an impact on your recovering from any injuries you may have suffered as well as the potential monetary compensation for your losses. Below are the steps you should take, if you’re able to, immediately following your Massapequa, New York car accident.
- Call 911: Call the police immediately and request emergency medical attention for yourself, any passengers, and anyone else who may have been injured in the car accident.
- Get Driver’s Information: If you’re not immediately transported by ambulance to the hospital, you’ll want to obtain the name, address, phone number, license number, and any insurance information from all the other drivers involved in the accident.
- Witness Information: You’ll want to get the name, address, and telephone number of any witnesses. Many times witnesses will leave once the police and emergency medical personnel arrive on the scene, so it’s vital to try to obtain this information as quickly as possible.
- Take Pictures: Use your cellphone, or camera if you have one with you, to photograph any damage to your car, the other driver’s vehicles, the debris, any skid marks, and injuries. Try to get a wide shot that shows where the accident happened. Also, if possible, try to photograph any environmental factors that may have contributed to the car accident such as road construction, standing water, or obstructed views.
- Police Report: Within a day or two of your Massapequa, New York car accident you should be able to obtain a copy of the police report. While it’s important to cooperate with the police while at the scene, don’t admit to any fault for the accident.
- Seek Medical Treatment: Even if you don’t feel you require emergency care, see a doctor as soon as possible after the car accident. Some injury symptoms don’t show up for a day or so after the car accident occurred. Additionally, a medical examination will document any injuries you may have in case you have a legal claim.
- Verbal and/or Written Statements: After your car accident, you may be contacted by the other driver’s or your insurance company. They may ask for a written or recorded statement of your version of the accident. Do not give the insurance company either of these things. Anything you say or write down may be used against you in an attempt to reduce the amount of compensation you may be entitled to.
- File a Report with the NYDMV: In Massapequa and throughout the state of New York, you must file a form with the New York Department of Motor Vehicles within 10 days of your accident if you suffered damages over $1,000.00. If you don’t file the form within 10 days, the state of New York can suspend your driver’s license.
Handling the New York Insurance Companies After a Massapequa, New York Car Accident
You may assume that your Massapequa, New York car insurance company is going to help you after your car accident in New York. Unfortunately, you couldn’t be further from the truth. The goal of most insurance companies is to pay you as little as they can for the damages you suffered in your Massapequa, New York car accident.
If you or a loved one is involved in a Massapequa, New York car accident, and the other driver was negligent, you should receive fair compensation for any injuries and other damages you or your loved one sustained. You may be entitled to receive compensation for emotional suffering, pain, and financial hardships as well.
After the accident when you contact your Massapequa, New York car insurance company, they may want you to make a recorded statement. Refuse to give a recorded statement and don’t volunteer any information. Remember, anything you say can and will be used against you when it’s time to settle your claim.
You should contact a Long Island, New York car accident lawyer in order to ensure that your New York car insurance company can’t take advantage of you and your situation. The legal team at the Gary Falkowitz Law Firm is an expert in personal injury cases, and he can review everything as it pertains to your Massapequa, New York car accident, and talk to any witnesses to build the strongest possible case for you or your loved one.
Protecting Your Legal Rights After a Massapequa, New York Car Accident
In the state of New York, there are strict time limits in which you have to file your lawsuit as a result of your Massapequa, New York car accident. If you don’t file your lawsuit within the given amount of time, the court may choose not to hear your case, barring any extraordinary circumstances. The time limit is often referred to as the statute of limitations.
In New York, the statute of limitations is three (3) years from the date of the accident. However, if a loved one died in the Massapequa, New York car accident, you have two (2) years to file your lawsuit according to the wrongful death statute of limitations in New York.
Most of the time the statute of limitations will begin at the time of the Massapequa, New York car accident, however, there are exceptions, such as in a claim for wrongful death where your loved one initially survived, but later died as a result of their injuries.
Additionally, tighter time limits could apply to your Massapequa, New York car accident if your crash involved a government vehicle.
Why You Need a Massapequa, New York Car Accident Lawyer
By contacting Massapequa, New York car accident attorney, Gary Falkowitz, you can stop worrying and rest assured the Falkowitz Law Firm and his experienced team will work hard to build your case, deal with the paperwork, and work with the insurance company to get you all the monetary compensation you or your loved one deserves.