Crashes and other kinds of car accidents take a huge toll on all road users, their families, and their communities. Based on data from the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA), law enforcement report over 6.5 million motor vehicle crashes yearly, which, on average, lead to approximately 36,000 fatalities and 2.7 million injuries.
Preventing car accidents that cause serious injuries and deaths begins with understanding how they occur. Here are some of the leading causes of car accidents, so you will be aware of the risks they pose and hopefully avoid becoming a car accident statistic.
Understanding How Driver Error Can Cause Car Accidents
Human error is the cause of approximately 94% of traffic accidents. This means that the vast majority of car accidents occur because of the errors or poor decisions that drivers make when driving. These errors include:
- Distracted Driving – The human brain simply isn’t capable of fully concentrating on multiple tasks simultaneously. So when you’re driving and texting, reading, eating, arguing with a passenger, or simply grooming, your brain is literally switching between these tasks and can’t focus fully on what’s ahead.
- Drunk Driving – Drunk driving is a stupid choice that a lot of drivers still make. Driving while drunk significantly impairs the alertness and concentration required for safe driving.
- Speeding – Recklessly and intentionally speeding, unintentionally speeding, rushing to get from one place to another, and trying to beat traffic are common causes of speeding-related car accidents.
- Reckless Driving – Reckless driving can include switching lanes or merging too quickly, purposefully disregarding traffic rules, and disregarding other road users’ safety, among others.
- Running Stop Signs and Red Lights – It’s just not worth avoiding shaving off several seconds or minutes of waiting time to risk the safety of other road users and yourself.
- Fatigue – Drowsiness, sleepiness, and exhaustion could easily impair your ability to safely determine, react, and respond to road conditions.
- Aggressive Driving – This can include one or more traffic offenses that can potentially harm others, such as reckless driving and speeding.
Consult with an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer in Garden City Now
If you need sound legal advice or help following a car accident that left you injured financially and physically, the Falkowitz Law Firm can help. Our experienced Garden City car accident lawyer can examine your claim carefully to figure out the best legal recourse for your specific case and determine the damages you can recover. To schedule your free case review, contact us online or call 844-385-4279.
Car Accident FAQs
How Much Compensation Can I Get?
Put simply, the more severe the injuries and losses, the higher the compensation amount. Your lawyer can provide you a more accurate value for your claim.
How Can a Car Accident Lawyer Help Me?
Your lawyer can evaluate your case, establish fault for the accident, figure out applicable damages, and help you pursue compensation for your damages.
A Loved One was Killed in a Car Accident – What Should I Do?
You may be able to hold the at-fault party liable and claim compensation for your losses in a wrongful death claim.
Gary P. Falkowitz is the Managing Partner and Founding Attorney of the Falkowitz Law Firm PLLC‚ one of the premiere personal injury law firms in New York. Gary received his J.D., in 2005 from St. John’s University School of Law and served as an Assistant District Attorney with the Kings County District Attorney’s Office.