Any car accident can result in serious injury or death and is appropriately a cause for concern. If you are a pedestrian hit by a car in New York, however, the level of concern only grows because your accident is far more likely to result in catastrophic injuries and can easily devastate your physical and financial future in the blink of an eye. Unfortunately, drivers striking pedestrians walking on the sidewalk, in a crosswalk, and exiting their vehicle are commonplace occurrences. If you have been involved in this type of car accident, it’s important to take a few simple steps that will help you and your claim for compensation greatly in the future.
- Call 911 – It’s important to notify the authorities about your accident. Call 911 and wait for the ambulance and law enforcement to arrive. Help the responding officers complete an accident report and give a detailed statement of events. Review the statement you gave to the officers to make sure it is correct.
- Seek Medical Attention – Even if you believe you weren’t hurt, seeking medial care is important both for documenting your claim as well as diagnosing and treating any injuries you suffered. Some injuries may not present symptoms for a few days but can be fatal if left untreated.
- Keep the Driver at the Scene – Even though leaving the scene of a car accident is a crime, some drivers may try to flee. If possible, try to ensure they stay until law enforcement arrives. If you can’t, get their license plate number.
- Collect Evidence at the Scene – Take photographs of the accident scene, vehicle involved, your injuries, and any traffic control devices in the area like stop signs. Get the driver’s vehicle and insurance information, and get contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- File a No-Fault Benefits Claim – Pedestrians struck by motor vehicles in New York have the right to the driver’s no-fault benefits provided by their insurance company if you file your claim no more than 30 days after the accident.
- Speak to an Attorney – A skilled car accident attorney will be able to guide you through the proper steps to take after your accident and help you navigate the process of recovering maximum possible compensation for your injuries.
Contact an Attorney
After you’ve been struck by a car, it’s important to take steps to protect your legal rights and look after your health. The experienced New York City car accident lawyers at the Falkowitz Law Firm can save you the headache of dealing with insurance companies and fight for you to receive the compensation you deserve. Contact us 24/7 at (844)-385-4279 or by completing our online Contact Page to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation. Let us answer your question and use our resources and skills help you get the best possible outcome starting today.
Gary P. Falkowitz is the Managing Partner and Founding Attorney of the Falkowitz Law Firm PLLC‚ one of the premiere personal injury law firms in New York. Gary received his J.D., in 2005 from St. John’s University School of Law and served as an Assistant District Attorney with the Kings County District Attorney’s Office.