Insurance companies often are a key player in settling personal injury claims. Though it’s a very good thing if you or whoever caused your injuries have insurance, it still doesn’t guarantee the insurer will approve your claim or pay you a fair settlement. These companies are for-profit businesses, so their goal is to pay as little to you as possible. Insurers use a variety of excuses to try and dispute the value of your claim or deny it altogether, including:
- You were at least partly to blame for the accident that caused your injuries
- You posted things on social media – photos, blogs, statuses – that show your injuries aren’t as severe as you claim
- You had a pre-existing health condition and you would have incurred your injuries whether or not the accident happened
- You didn’t provide enough documentation of your damages
- You gave a recorded statement that cast doubt on your claims of who caused the accident and how badly you were hurt
- You didn’t pay your insurance premium and coverage lapsed
- You didn’t sufficiently prove their policyholder’s liability
- The damages you seek exceed the coverage limits on the insurance policy at issue
- The situation that caused your accident isn’t covered under their insurance policy
- You failed to follow your doctor’s orders exactly, which made your injuries worse
- You didn’t seek medical attention quickly and as a result made your injuries more severe
Depending on the situation, appealing the insurer’s decision may be resolved by something as simple as a phone call, require additional evidence, challenge the policy language, or even filing a lawsuit. A personal injury lawyer can help understand the reason for their decision and contact the insurance company for you to make sure your appeal is handled in the most strategic way possible.
Contact a Long Island Personal Injury Attorney
Dealing with insurance companies is complicated enough without struggling to recover from your injuries. To make sure you’re getting fair compensation, speak to the experienced Long Island personal injury attorneys at Falkowitz Law Firm, PLLC to avoid getting the run-around. Contact us 24/7 at (844)-385-4279 or by completing our online Contact Page to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation. Let our skilled attorneys use our resources and knowledge to answer your questions and put your mind at ease today.
Gary P. Falkowitz is the Managing Partner and Founding Attorney of the Falkowitz Law Firm PLLC‚ one of the premiere personal injury law firms in New York. Gary received his J.D., in 2005 from St. John’s University School of Law and served as an Assistant District Attorney with the Kings County District Attorney’s Office.